Want to get started using Ethereum? This page will give you the basic information you need.
1. Use an application built on ethereum
The best way to get started with Ethereum is to jump right in! There are many Ethereum-based applications that you can use today.
Here are just a few apps built on Ethereum - we rotate this list frequently!
- Gitcoin, a network of incentivized open-source developers
- Cent, a social network where you earn money by posting
- Veil, a trading platform that lets you place bets on real world events
- CryptoKitties, a game where you collect and breed digital collectible cats
- DAI, a stable cryptocurrency that holds value at $1 USD
Some of these applications might require a wallet - see the section below for more information.
Interested in looking at more applications built on Ethereum?
- Built on Ethereum Updated often - EthHub
- 40 Ethereum Apps You Can Use Right Now Aug 15, 2018 - ConsenSys
- Ethereum Dapps Updated often - State of the Dapps
- Ethereum DeFi Ecosystem Updated often - Defiprime
- DeFi Pulse Analytics + rankings of DeFi protocols - Defi Pulse
2. What is ETH, and how do I get it?
ETH is Ethereum's native currency. It is "digital money" that can be sent over the internet instantly and cheaply, and also be used in many Ethereum-based applications like the ones above.
The easiest way to get ETH is to buy some. There are many cryptocurrency exchanges that will allow you to buy ETH, but the one you should use will depend on where you live and how you want to pay.
For more information on how to buy ETH check out these guides:
- How to buy Ether (ETH) Updated often - MyCrypto
- How to Buy Ether Updated often - EthHub
- Ethereum, a Digital Currency CryptoKitties
3. What is a wallet, and which one should I use?
Wallets are applications that make it easy to hold and send ETH, as well as interact with applications built on Ethereum.
Want to install a wallet?
- MetaMask browser extension for Chrome, Brave, Firefox and Opera
- Opera major browser with Ethereum integration
- MyCrypto web-based Ethereum wallet
- TrustWallet Ethereum compatible wallet for iOS and Android
Want to learn more about Ethereum wallets?
- Intro to Ethereum Wallets Updated often - EthHub
- Best Ethereum Wallets 2019: Hardware vs. Software vs. Paper Dec 15, 2018 - Blockonomi
Want to learn more about securely storing funds and managing private keys?