What is crypto and Ethereum?
You have probably heard a thing or two about cryptocurrencies, Bitcoin, and blockchain, but do you know what those actually are and how they relate to Ethereum? And what is Ethereum anyway?
Not only can Ethereum do what Bitcoin does (transfer money globally), it’s capable of much more – anyone can deploy code onto the network. And because it’s so flexible, any computer program can run on Ethereum.
What is Ethereum?
If you are new, start here to learn the basics of crypto and why Ethereum matters.
What is ETH?
Ether (ETH) is the currency powering the Ethereum network and apps.
Where can I get ETH?
There are many ways to get ETH, depending on your location.
More on Ethereum basics
How do I use Ethereum?
Using Ethereum is relatively straightforward once you get the hang of it. First, you need to download a "wallet". A wallet is an app that helps you store your crypto and interact with applications on Ethereum.
What is a wallet?
Wallets let you manage your ETH and Ethereum applications.
Find a wallet
We'll help you find the best wallet based on the features that matter to you.
Crypto security basics
Learn how to identify scams and how to avoid the most common tricks.
Things to consider when using Ethereum
- Each Ethereum transaction requires a fee in the form of ETH, even if you need to move different tokens built on Ethereum like the stablecoins USDC or DAI.
- Fees can be high depending on the number of people trying to use Ethereum, so we recommend using Layer 2s.
More on using Ethereum
What is Ethereum used for?
Ethereum has led to the creation of new products and services that can improve different areas of our lives. We're still in the early stages but there's a lot to be excited about.
Decentralized finance (DeFi)
Explore an alternative financial system that is built without banks and is open to anyone.
Stablecoins are cryptocurrencies designed to stay at a fixed value of a dollar.
Non-fungible tokens (NFTs)
Non-fungible tokens represent ownership of unique items.
Decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs)
DAOs run without the need for coordination by a central entity.
Decentralized applications (dapps)
Dapps are creating a new digital economy of peer-to-peer services.
More on Ethereum use cases
Strengthen the Ethereum network
You can help secure Ethereum and earn rewards at the same time on your ETH by staking it. There are different options for staking depending on your technical knowledge and how much ETH you have.
Learn about Ethereum the protocol
For users most interested in the technical part of the Ethereum network.
How much energy does Ethereum use?
Ethereum upgrades make it more scalable, secure, and sustainable.
The original Ethereum proposal written by Vitalik Buterin in 2014.
More on the Ethereum protocol
Learn about Ethereum the community
The success of Ethereum is thanks to its incredibly dedicated community. Thousands of inspiring and driven people help push Ethereum’s vision forward. Come and join us!
Our community includes people from all backgrounds.
How can I get involved?
You don't need to be technical to get involved in the Ethereum community.
Online communities provide a great opportunity to ask more specific questions or get involved.
Books and podcasts
Books about Ethereum and Cryptocurrencies
- The Cryptopians February 22, 2022 - Laura Shin
- Out of the Ether September 29, 2020 - Matthew Leising
- The Infinite Machine July 14, 2020 - Camila Russo
- The Age of Cryptocurrency January 12, 2016 - Paul Vigna, Michael J. Casey
- The Truth Machine February 27, 2018 - Paul Vigna, Michael J. Casey
- Digital Gold May 24, 2021 - Nathaniel Popper
- Kings of Crypto December 15, 2020 - Jeff John Roberts
- Mastering Ethereum December 23, 2018 – Andreas M. Antonopoulos, Gavin Wood Ph.D.
- Proof of Stake September 13, 2022 - Vitalik Buterin, Nathan Schneider
Podcasts about Ethereum and Cryptocurrencies
- Bankless A guide to Crypto finance
- Uncommon Core Explores the transformative nature of trust-minimized currency and financial services
- Zero Knowledge Goes deep into the tech that will power the emerging decentralized web and the community building this
- Epicenter Explores the technical, economic, and social implications of the Crypto industry
- Unchained Dives deep into the people building the decentralized internet, the details of this technology that could underpin our future, and some of the thorniest topics in crypto, such as regulation, security and privacy
- Into the Bytecode A podcast about the ideas shaping crypto
- The Daily Gwei Ethereum news recaps, updates and analysis